Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cottleston Pie


Let me start my blog assignment with a bit of honesty. I went to buy “The Tao of Pooh” with every intention of reading it then returning it the next day. However, upon reading it, my mind was quick to change. I absolutely loved it. It’s such a clever idea, teaching people about Taoism through a children’s book character. In my recent personal life, things haven’t been exactly where I want them to be. I’ll spare the details; all that’s important is that this book gave me some amazing insights on how to handle and how to see the situations I find myself in. So much so that I have talked my father into reading the book as I think it will help him as well.
            I loved how the author used actual examples from Winnie the Pooh stories, it showed that he wasn’t just using the character to gain some recognition, but that he actually understands Taoism enough to connect the dots and make it simple. His book was an easy read, but not to the point of down talking his readers. All in all, the book is now one of my favorites and is happily among my collection.
            While I do understand the point of the Busy Backsons, I do have to say that I don’t 100% agree. Some individuals do take their business too seriously and let the important things slip, but others are just motivated and actually enjoy working and achieving success.
            I think there is a solution for us as a people in this book. It’s important that we start taking life for what it is and stop magnifying it and tearing it up. The idea of seeing something as it is, as a simple problem, and letting the answers come naturally rather than forcing them or pitying oneself over them it one that I believe a lot of people could really use. The chapter called The Pooh Way is my favorite among the book. That is because I think it holds the most useful information on ways to handle circumstances. Pooh Bear is definitely an amazing example of Taoism, or at least what I understand so far of the idea.

4 comments:

  1. The book had the opposite effect for me. I was really excited about reading it, but ended up disliking it. That being said, I agree with the point you made about some people just being motivated and enjoying their work. I also like that you mentioned not magnifying our lives; by the time I had reached the end of the book, that particular point had been forgotten in favor of the more general ones like "follow your instincts." So I'm glad I read your review, because it improved my (low) opinion of the book slightly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought of Winnie-the-Pooh as being a very slow-driven bear, and relating him to Taoism also helped me realize how much of a simple religion Taoism is. I think connecting the religion to a child's classic cartoon character makes learning about it a little easier as well. Your take on what you think about a Bisy Backson was interesting and I can see where you're coming from when you don't completely agree with what the book said. A Bisy Backson doesn't necessarily have to be a negative part to America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also liked reading this book because I have always liked Winnie the Pooh. I like the analogy of Pooh Bear and Taoism because he is the perfect character. Pooh comes off as dumb, but he is actually a very smart bear. I also like what you said about the busy backsons. We are very busy people but some of us enjoy what we do from day to day. It isn't always about just doing what needs to be done, but I happen to work because I enjoy what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the book as well. Even thought Hoff made some good point, I don't fully agree with him on everything. My question is If he wants everyone to follow the "Tao", then let them. How do you not know that their tao is to be a well-organized person

    ReplyDelete